Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Germans and Saracens...

I'm looking for good studies on the depiction of Saracens in medieval German literature...I'm tracking down a number of studies regarding Willehalm, in particular. My own study involves German chronicles of the Third Crusade, which have not yet been analyzed in this fashion. At the moment, I am really hoping to avoid the complicated debates over the interior relationships of these chronicles, but that may not be necessary. Having just been to the crusades conference at Fordham, I am running on a surfeit of ideas regarding Western Christendom and its portrayal of the "other." Personally, I dislike that kind of terminology, since I feel that it creates both an overly simplistic, non-contextualized normative paradigm, and a psycho-socially deterministic, pejorative discourse in a field which demands the opposite [As I've pointed out to various of my English department colleagues, I can talk this way when I wish...] However...in this instance, I believe that the later "hardening of ideological lines", so to speak, between Christian and Muslim in the later Middle Ages, had, in the German case, something to do with the German experience in the Third Crusade definitely, and the Fifth Crusade perhaps. We'll see.

No comments: